Hybrid Mittens– PDF Link
This is a very simple mitten pattern knitted flat and seamed up the side. It is also available in the round.
Using a worsted wt. yarn and a size 8 needle.
CO 28 st. Work desired cuff length (I did 1 ½ in) in 1x ribbing (k1,p1)
Work mitten body:
- K11,Knit in front of stitch and in back of stitch (KFB),K4,KFB,K11 (30st)
- K12,KFB,K4,KFB,K12 (32st)
- K13,KFB,K4,KFB,K13 (34st)
- K14,KFB,K4,KFB,K14 (36st)
- Purl 21, place 6 purled st on holder (the ones that were just purled), purl rest of row
- K15,CO2,K15 (32st)
Continue in Stockinette st until stockinette section measures 4in.
- BO 16 st using a purl BO, P 16 (remaining 16 st)
- K 16, CO16
- P (all 32 st)
Continue to work in Stockinette st until desired length minus ½ in.
Decrease for Shaping:
- K2tog,K12,K2tog,K2tog,K12,K2tog (28st)
- K2tog,K10,K2tog,K2tog,K10,K2tog (24st)
- K2tog,K8,K2tog,K2tog,K8,K2tog (20 st)
- K2tog,K6,K2tog,K2tog,K6, K2tog (16 st)
- Bind Off
- Pick up 16 of the bottom st.
- Work in 1x ribbing for 16 st.
Work in pattern for ½ in, BO in pattern
Work top portion in the same manner.
This will create an opening that will have a slight overlap.
- from inside center of thumb, PU 3, K6,PU3
Work in Stockinette St for 2 in
Decrease for Thumb
- K2tog,K2tog,K to last 4 st, K2tog,K2tog
- K2tog x4
Break yarn with ample enough to draw through the remaining st, sew down side of thumb, weave in ends
Finish mitten by seaming edges and by grafting the tip of the mitten.
Please remember to knit the second mitten for the opposite hand.
I forgot that detail the first time I knit these :)